Tuesday, October 21, 2008

PC vs. XBox 360

I picked up Fable II today, and I will get to playing it as soon as my wife is done with the TV. In the meantime, I figured I would discuss a little bit about my personal opinion on the Xbox 360 vs. the PC as a gaming platform. Everyone has their own point of view about this, but this is mostly for the benefit of my friends that play videogames, but don't currently own a 360.

I work all day in front of a PC. So when I want to relax, I don't really want to be in front of a PC anymore. My desk chair isn't all that comfortable, and when I'm sitting in front of a keyboard, it just reminds me of more work. When I play on my 360, I'm on a comfy sofa. There is no email anywhere nearby, and it's a much more relaxed setting.

Also, things are EASIER on the 360 when compared to a PC. If I have a new game I want to play, I put it in the tray and go. I don't have to install the game, type a key, update my video drivers, reboot, or anything like that. I don't have to worry about DRM installing wierd crap on my machine, either. Again, it just feels a lot less like work.

There is also the whole Xbox Live aspect of it too. A Gold membership costs something like $60 a YEAR, which lets you play online against other people, tracks your game stats, etc. The money is very much worth it, because the online matchmaking service is very good, stable and fast. XBox Live also tracks in-game "Achievements", which is basically just for bragging rights, or gamers would want to absolutely, positively complete everything that there is to do in a single game. Some achievements are quite funny, such as this one in Fable II: 

"The Chicken Kicker: Kick a chicken a good distance, or see one getting kicked."

I guarantee you'll see that one on my gamercard as soon as possible.


2 comments:

Ll4ma said...

Here's a few counterpoints to your post.

A. The interface on the PC is so much better. Honestly, I don't know how you handle using a controller when you can tweak the mouse up just the way you like it, and the keys for your left hand are are easily mapped.

B. The installation just increases the anticipation. Also, if your drivers are out of date, you're doing it wrong. Taking care of your gamer's rig is like tuning a car. There's some work involved, but it's few and far between.

C. You pay 60$ a year for the privilege of playing online?! Are you F-ing kidding me? I have always disagreed with pay-to-play games. Games should stand on their own merits and their own price tag. Xbox live should maintain their servers based on nothign else but the incentive to increase their market share. It's worth noting that I've never played a PC game singleplayer, and then had to pay additional $ to play with my buddies. Check out steam for a good business model.

D. lastly, How would I even choose which console is right for me? I play my Wii a lot when I have gangs of people over, and my wife likes it, but it means I don't get titles like Halo, or Gears of war. Which I write off as "no big loss", because it's not really my genre. I'm not so into FPS anymore, sadly.

Jenny said...

Ahhhemmmm....GEEK!...ahemmmmm....

Did you know that the XBox-360 also serves at a DVD player. Surprisingly, it works really well for excercise DVDs...just saying, that's all...

God you make it sound like I was hogging the T.V. to relax! God forbid!